Learning how to identify hippies

In 2017, Heather Booth reported on Learn Nothing Day at her house, with a bonus throw-back story.


It's the time of year again. Time to celebrate Learn Nothing Day!
It's a fun, tongue in cheek holiday where unschoolers collectively try to go a whole day not learning anything to illustrate it's not possible.

This year started with Austin laying on the carpet face down in an attempt to not let any new information into his head. He got bored and asked if we could call a time out for a bit so he could play his game. Learning nothing is hard work and boring.

2013

At some point he asked me if my friend Willow was a hippie. I asked him what he thought a hippie was. Here's the list he came up with:
  1. Have dreadlocks
  2. Love peace
  3. Be a vegetarian
  4. Wear round sunglasses
  5. Wear super flashy clothes
  6. Believe in karma
  7. Like bugs
  8. Like the outdoors
  9. Participate in activism
  10. Say "man" a lot
I asked him how many of those things a person had to do to be a hippie. He said five. I'm pretty sure Willow loves peace, I think she likes bugs, I know she likes the outdoors and participates in activism, but she doesn't have dreadlocks, isn't a vegetarian- but is a vegan. I've never seen her in round sunglasses and I wouldn't say her style of dress is "super flashy." I also don't think I hear her say man a lot. How many was that? Only four? Willow, you're not a hippie in Austin's book. Later that day he asked if we could go to the Lego store. We had been going about our day and I think we forgot we call Learn Nothing Day back on, so figuring out what was the best Lego set to buy for the amount of money he had didn't count either. Come to think of it, I don't think we ever called Learning Nothing Day back on. It was too hard not to see something new, figure something out, or engage in interesting conversation and really isn't any fun to go about a day that way. Basically we quit Learning Nothing Day and went about our learning as usual. Just the way we like it.

I came across that while working on this page: Heather Booth, on Unschooling, which I needed because a link had gone bad (to her older blog) from The Big Book of Unschooling page, which I needed to clean up because the second edition was released this week, ten years after the first! There's a new cover and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment